Biographical entry Lawrence, John ( - 1863)
MRCS, Oct 6th, 1809; FRCS, Dec 11th, 1843, one of the original 300 Fellows.
- General surgeon
Joined the 1st Regiment of Foot Guards as Assistant Surgeon on Aug 10th, 1809, and resigned with the rank of Surgeon before March 28th, 1811. He settled in practice at 74 Grand Parade, Brighton, and was Surgeon Extraordinary to William IV. He was one of the first three Surgeons of the Sussex County Hospital, opened in 1828, the other two being Harry Blaker (q.v.) and Robert Taylor (q.v.). These three Surgeons all resigned on the same day, and the first three House Surgeons, Benjamin Valiance, M E J Furner, and John Lawrence, junr., were appointed to succeed them. The last-named died within two or three months, probably of appendicitis; Sir William Fergusson having decided not to operate on what was then commonly known as the ‘passio iliaca’.
John Lawrence, senr., was an excellent surgeon. At the time of his death he was Consulting Surgeon to the Sussex County Hospital, the Lying-in Hospital, and St Mary’s Hall, Brighton. He died in 1863.
Lawrence was a contributor to the Lancet, Med. Gaz., and Guy’s Hosp. Rep. of papers on “Fractured Skull” and “Compound Comminuted Fracture of the Patella.”
Sources used to compile this entry: [Johnston’s RAMC Roll, No. 8009. N P Blaker’s Sussex in Bygone Days, 1919].
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
Created: 12 June 2008