Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Blomfield (or Bloomfield), Josiah (1824 - 1905)

MRCS April 19th 1844; FRCS May 10th 1855; LSA May 25th 1843; MD King’s College, Aberdeen, 1855.

Born
1824
Died
6 January 1905
London
Occupation
General surgeon

Details

Apprenticed in 1837 to Mr Protheroe Smith, 105 Hatton Garden; completed his professional training at St Bartholomew’s Hospital. He was for six months dresser to John Vincent Painter (qv), and for the same period Clinical Clerk to Dr George Leith Roupell. He obtained the prize for clinical surgery, was second in medicine, surgery, chemistry, and materia medica, and was awarded an honours certificate in midwifery. After passing at the Apothecaries’ Hall he began to practise at Peckham Rye, but being under the required age did not pass the Membership of the College for more than a year afterwards. He removed to Camden Place, Peckham, in 1847, and was soon appointed one of the District Medical Officers for Christchurch and part of St George’s, Camberwell, holding this post during ‘the reign of the cholera’. The parish gained some notoriety from the prevalence of this disease. Blomfield had more than one hundred cases of Asiatic cholera under his care, besides numerous others of severe diarrhoea. About seventy-two of the cholera patients died. He received from the Board of Guardians a very handsome letter and the sum of £70, in acknowledgement of his services to the poor during the pestilence.

On Nov 9th, 1849, he was elected from about seventeen candidates to the office of Surgeon to the Licensed Victuallers’ Asylum, Old Kent Road, the largest institution of the kind in existence. He was for many years Parochial Medical Officer for North Peckham, and was also Medical Examiner for Government Insurance. He practised for a time at 19 Grove Terrace, Peckham, and then for many years in Rye Lane. He retained his posts as Medical Examiner and at the Licensed Victuallers’ Asylum to the end of his long life, and died at his residence, 20 Peckham Road, on Jan 6th, 1905.

The Royal College of Surgeons of England