Biographical entry Eddison, Booth (1809 - 1859)
MRCS March 13th 1835; FRCS Dec 24th 1844; LSA 1829.
- 7 March 1859
Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
- General surgeon
The fifth son of John Eddison, of Gateford, Notts, who died in 1812. His father belonged to the Society of Friends. His mother, niece of Abraham Booth, Baptist minister, was left a widow with eight children under eleven years of age, but with remarkable energy she fitted them all to fill responsible positions, one of them, Edwin, becoming Town Clerk of Leeds.
Booth Eddison became an apprentice at the General Hospital, Nottingham, and after two years he continued his education at St George's and Westminster Hospitals. After qualifying he was elected Resident Surgeon at the General Hospital, Nottingham, and held the post for five years. After further study at the Lying-in Hospital, Dublin, and in Paris, he started practice in Leeds, then joined John Higginbottom, senr (qv), in partnership at Nottingham until 1842, after which he practised by himself. In 1850 he was elected Surgeon to the General Hospital, Nottingham, and became proprietor of the Broom House Private Ladies' Asylum at Mansfield. He was President at the Nottingham Meeting of the British Medical Association in 1857.
He began to suffer from pulmonary tuberculosis and went to live in Devonshire, then in Italy, and finally in January, 1859, in Madeira, accompanied by his wife and two daughters. He died at Funchal on March 7th, 1859, and the post-mortem examination disclosed tuberculous disease with cavities in both lungs. He was buried as a Quaker in the English Cemetery.
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
Created: 9 November 2011