Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Haward, John Warrington (1841 - 1921)

MRCS May 7th 1863; FRCS June 18th 1868; LRCP Lond 1863.

Born
18 November 1841
Died
20 August 1921
Berkhamsted, UK
Occupation
General surgeon and Orthopaedic surgeon

Details

John Warrington Haward (pronounced Hayward) was born on Nov 18th, 1841, the youngest of ten surviving children of James Haward, of Great Baddow, Essex, and grand-nephew of Francis Haward (1759-1797), engraver (Dict Nat Biog). He entered St George's Hospital in October, 1860, gained the William Brown Scholarship, and took four prizes in clinical medicine and surgery at a time when the staff included Henry Hawkins, Prescott Hewett, and George Pollock, Henry Gray being Demonstrator of Anatomy. He was House Surgeon at Westminster Hospital in 1864; Demonstrator of Anatomy at St. George's in 1867; Assistant Surgeon to the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, in 1870; Surgical Registrar at St George's from 1870-1872; and Curator of the Museum and Demonstrator of Morbid Anatomy from 1878-1875. From 1875-1880 he was Assistant Surgeon and Surgeon to the Orthopaedic Department; in 1880 Surgeon and Lecturer on Surgery and Operative Surgery, retiring, after twenty years' service in this post, in 1900. He then became Consulting Surgeon, member of the Weekly Board, Chairman of the Nursing Committee, and Treasurer of the Hospital Medical School. From 1874-1882 he was Surgeon to the Cripples' Nursery. In 1906 he gave a Hunterian Lecture at the Royal College of Surgeons on "Phlebitis and Thrombosis". He served through various offices of the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society up to President in 1907, the year of the amalgamation to form the Royal Society of Medicine. He had been also Vice-President of the Clinical and Pathological Societies, and in 1908-1909 was President of the Surgical Section of the Royal Society of Medicine.

He was a notable figure in the charitable world, serving on the committee of the Charity Organization Society, on the Mansion House Committee on "The Dwellings of the Poor", on the Invalid Children's Association as Chairman of the Executive Committee, and President. He was also Treasurer of the Society for the Relief of Widows and Orphans of Medical Men. His delightful personality made him loved as well as respected, and there was a complete absence of any leaning towards self-assertion.

He had practised at 5 Montagu Street, Portman Square, at 18 Savile Row, and at 57 Green Street. On retiring he went to reside at Manor End, Berkhamsted, where he died on Aug 20th, 1921, and was buried at Potten End. He married in 1876 Amy Caecilia, daughter of James Nicholls (q.v.), of Chelmsford and Wiveliscombe, who survived him, as also did two sons, the elder, Lawrence Haward, being in charge of the Manchester Art Gallery.

A portrait of Haward in St George's Hospital Gazette, 1900, represents him on his retirement from the active staff. His surgical practice was influenced by the revolution in surgery brought in by Lister, which he followed slowly and not without glances back. It was limited, moreover, by the line of work experienced at the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital and the Orthopaedic Department at St George's.

Publications:
A Treatise on Orthopedic Surgery, 1881.
Phlebitis and Thrombosis, 1906.
Several articles in Holmes and Hulke's System of Surgery; Heath's Dictionary of Surgery; St George's Hosp Rep.
"On Fracture of the Skull with Pulsating Tumour of the Head." - Lancet, 1869, ii, 79. This paper includes one of the first descriptions of the bony metastases of primary carcinoma of the thyroid.

The Royal College of Surgeons of England