Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Juler, Henry Edward (1842 - 1921)

MRCS May 7th 1867; FRCS June 12th 1879.

Born
1842
Suffolk
Died
23 April 1921
London
Occupation
Ophthalmic surgeon

Details

Born in Suffolk, the son of Dr H C Juler, a local practitioner of Huguenot descent. He received his professional training at St Mary's Hospital, where he was successively Demonstrator of Anatomy (1877), Medical Registrar, and Medical Superintendent, and was for a time in general practice with John Rowland Gibson (qv), Medical Officer to Newgate Prison. He also went through a course of post-graduate study in Paris and Berlin. Deciding to devote himself to ophthalmology, he was appointed Clinical Assistant to the Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital and at the same time started practice in Wimpole Street. He was appointed, as Pathologist, to the staff of the Royal Westminster Ophthalmic Hospital, where there was abundant clinical material but no systematic teaching; he set himself with his customary energy to remedy this, and with the assistance of his colleagues laid the foundation of a successful school of ophthalmology. In 1884 he rejoined St Mary's Hospital as assistant to Sir Anderson Critchett and was responsible for the whole of the out-patient work and teaching of the hospital. When Sir Anderson Critchett retired in 1901 Juler became Senior Ophthalmic Surgeon to the hospital and Lecturer on Ophthalmology in the School, and the subordinate post in which he had served for more than twenty years was formally recognized by the creation of an Assistant Ophthalmic Surgeoncy. As Senior Ophthalmic Surgeon Juler continued to work assiduously, both in the Outpatient Department and in the wards. His kindliness made him a delightful colleague and teacher, and generation after generation of students came to regard him as a friend. Juler earned his reputation mainly as a clinician. With John Griffiths, he demonstrated the presence of the dilator fibres in the iris. He was deeply interested in the pathology of the eye, and many of the specimens prepared by him are in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons. He was for a long time Ophthalmic Surgeon at the London Lock Hospital, and the experience gained there was embodied by him in his lectures on the syphilitic diseases of the eye and its appendages. He was President of the Harveian Society in 1899 as well as being Vice-President of the Ophthalmological Society, and held office as Secretary, Vice-President, and President of the Ophthalmological Sections of the British Medical Association in the meetings at Birmingham (1890), Bristol (1894), and Swansea (1903) respectively.

In private life he was hospitable and a keen horseman, motorist, and golfer. He was a man of untiring energy and enthusiasm, both in his work and in his recreation. He was a familiar equestrian figure in Hyde Park in the early mornings, educating his children in horsemanship. He rode fearlessly, not without occasional accidents, and his cheeriness of disposition carried others with him in sports and pastimes. His operative skill and dexterity were accompanied by a sympathetic consideration for the patient's trouble which made him very popular as a consultant. Early in the European War he lost his younger son, George C Juler, Lieutenant, 5th Lancers, who was in the first Expeditionary Force (1914). He had resigned his hospital appointments previously to this loss, but returned to work at the Westminster Ophthalmic Hospital in the time of stress. During the last two years of his life, when he suffered from increasing deafness, he had gradually been retiring from practice in favour of his elder son, Franklin Anderson Juler, who succeeded him as Ophthalmic Surgeon at St Mary's Hospital. He married in 1879 Amy, second daughter of W J Anderson, a merchant of Cape Town and London. He died after a long illness at 17 Alexandra Court, Queen's Gate, W, on April 23rd, 1921, and was cremated at Golder's Green. He was survived by his widow, son, and three daughters. He had practised at 24 Cavendish Square, his private residence having been Harcourt House, 23 Cavendish Square, and his retirement had been spent at Westcliff Mansions, Eastbourne. His portrait, dated 1896, is in the College Collection. At the time of his death he was Consulting Surgeon to the Royal Westminster Ophthalmic Hospital and Consulting Ophthalmic Surgeon to St Mary's and the Lock Hospitals.

Publications:-
A Handbook of Ophthalmic Science and Practice, 8vo, illustrated, London, 1884; 3rd ed, 1904. This was one of the standard works on ophthalmology of its time. It is a well written and careful compendium, with many illustrations. A pirated edition, published at Philadelphia in 1898, was not credited to his authorship, and the only acknowledgement he had of it was a beautifully bound gilt-edged copy.
"Notes on Ophthalmic Surgery" in Keetley's Index of Surgery.
"Retinoscopy as a Means of Diagnosis and Correction of Errors of Refraction." - Brit Med Jour, 1882, ii, 670.
"Contribution to the Anatomy and Physiology of the Iris." - Trans Eighth Internat Ophthalmol Congress, 1894.
"Syphilitic Affections of the Eye and its Appendages," Harveian Lectures, Lancet, 1897, ii, 1511, etc.
Articles in Ophthalmol Soc Trans (1883, iii, et seq).

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit Jour Ophthalmol, 1921, v, 286, with portrait].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England