Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Pilcher, George (1801 - 1855)

MRCS April 2nd 1824; FRCS Dec 11th 1843 one of the original 300 Fellows.

Born
30 April 1801
Died
7 November 1855
Occupation
General surgeon

Details

Born on April 30th, 1801, the son of Jeremiah Pilcher, of Winkfield, Berkshire. He began to practise in Dean Street, Soho, as soon as he had qualified, and was appointed Lecturer on Anatomy, Physiology, and Surgery at the Webb Street School of Medicine in Snow's Fields, then belonging to his brother-in-law, Richard Dugard Grainger (qv).

He was for many years Consulting Surgeon to the Surrey Dispensary, and in 1838 he won the Fothergillian Prize at the Medical Society of London for his essay, On the Structure and Pathology of the Ear (8vo, London, 1838). When the Webb Street School closed in 1842 Pilcher became attached to "The School of Anatomy and Medicine adjoining St George's Hospital" which was known as "Lane's School", lecturing on surgery and aural surgery from July, 1843, and giving the introductory address on Oct 1st in that year. He was elected a Member of the Council of the College in 1849 and served until his death. He died suddenly on Nov 7th, 1855, and was buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.

Pilcher was an able surgeon and a good physiologist. He entered upon the practice of aural surgery when it was in disrepute and was one of those who materially raised its status.

Publications:
"An Essay on the Physiology of the Excito-motory System" read before the Medical Society in 1835.
The Structure, Economy and Diseases of the Ear, 8vo, with plates, London, 1838; 2nd ed, 1842.
Some Points in the Physiology of the Tympanum, read before the Physiological Section of the Medical Society of London, Feb 23rd, 1854, 8vo, London, 1854.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Dict Nat Biog, sub nomine et auct ibi cit. D'Arcy Power's Rise and Fall of the Private Medical Schools in London. Brit Med Jour, 1895, i, 1389. R R James's The School of Anatomy and Medicine adjoining St George's Hospital, London and Harrow, 1928, 48, 49].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England