Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Wright, George Arthur (1851 - 1920)

MRCS April 26th 1877; FRCS June 13th 1878; LSA 1877; BA Oxon 1874; MB 1877.

Born
1851
Died
23 March 1920
Sidmouth
Occupation
General surgeon

Details

The second son of the Rev Henry Edward Wright, Rector of Vange, Essex, and later of Litton, Somerset. He was educated at Marlborough School and matriculated at Oxford as an unattached, or non-collegiate student on Oct 16th, 1869. He took a 1st class in the Natural Science School in 1874 and was an Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy under Professor George Rolleston. He then entered Guy's Hospital, was Gold Medallist in Surgery in 1877, acting as House Surgeon and Surgical Registrar. He was also an Assistant in the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons. In 1880 he was appointed Resident Surgical Officer at the Royal Infirmary, Manchester, and in 1882 was elected Assistant Surgeon also Surgeon to the Pendlebury Hospital. As he was restricted to the former post for eighteen years, he devoted himself more especially to the surgery of childhood. This led to his chief publication in conjunction with Henry Ashby, The Diseases of Children, Medical and Surgical (1889, with subsequent editions); also other publications on the surgery of children, including "The Evacuation of Spinal Abscesses without Drainage" and Hip Disease, 1887. On becoming Surgeon to the Infirmary in 1900 he was appointed Consulting Surgeon at Pendlebury Hospital. Having for some years been Lecturer on Operative and Practical Surgery, in 1900 he succeeded Tom Jones (qv) as Professor of Surgery until 1911, when he retired on reaching the age limit. As Senior Surgeon he was largely concerned with the negotiations which led to the transference of the Infirmary from its old site in Piccadilly to the New Buildings in Oxford Road. He was an excellent clinical teacher and held classes for senior students at his own house; he was also instrumental in establishing a students' hostel at Lester House.

From 1906-1910 he was a Member of the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons. He was also an Examiner in Surgery at Manchester, as well as at Oxford, Birmingham, and Liverpool.

At the commencement of arrangements for Territorial Hospitals, Wright was selected in 1908 as First Administrator of the Second Western General Hospital. On the outbreak of the War (1914-1918) he was put in charge of the Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital at Worseley Hall, and was next placed in command of the Surgical Section of the Queen Mary Hospital at Whalley with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.

In private life, being without children himself, he was devoted to children as well as to animals. He spent his spare time at a country house in Cheshire, where he engaged in gardening, fishing, and shooting. In June, 1919, he retired to Sidmouth and lived at The Old Orchard, Britwell Valley. He died at Sidmouth on March 23rd, 1920, and was cremated at Golder's Green. He was survived by Mrs Wright.

The Royal College of Surgeons of England