Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Hough, Charles Henry (1855 - 1933)

MRCS 21 March 1878; FRCS by election 6 April 1933.

Born
April 1855
Cambridge
Died
15 October 1933
Occupation
General surgeon

Details

Second son of James Hough, FRCS, he was born at Cambridge in April 1855. He was educated at Uppingham School, which he entered on the same day as his brother George Frederick Hough (b May 1852), who was in the Cambridge XI in 1871. His brother W W Hough (1859-1934) became Bishop Suffragan of Woolwich. Charles Hough received his medical education at St Thomas's Hospital from October 1871, and was appointed house surgeon at the Derby Royal Infirmary in 1878. He joined an old-established practice on the completion of his term of office and remained in Derby for the next twenty-five years, obtaining the leading practice in the town and serving as surgeon to the Royal Infirmary. In 1903 he was president of the Midland branch of the British Medical Association and retired to a house he had built on a rocky prominence at the foot of Lough Rigg, near Ambleside, and within sight of Brathay Hall, the home of his wife. In this house he resumed the active practice of his profession.

From 1914 and during the rest of the war he acted as medical officer in charge of the Calgarth Park Hospital. It was used at first for Belgian wounded, but in 1916 was entirely reconstructed as a memorial to Mrs Oswald Hedley, of Windermere. It was then used as an orthopaedic hospital and was attached as an auxiliary unit to the Second Western General Hospital (Manchester). It was again reconstructed at the end of the war and was opened in 1920 as the Ethel Hedley Hospital for Crippled Children; it then contained twenty beds, but in 1924 it was enlarged to fifty beds. For these changes and improvements Hough was chiefly responsible. He died on 15 October 1933 and was buried in Brathay churchyard. His wife died before him and he left no family. Hough was a man of deep religious feeling and late in life became a lay reader, taking a prominent part in the affairs of the diocese. His leisure moments were devoted to the formation of a rock garden, which became one of the most beautiful in the country.

Publication:
A case of Porro-Caesarean section. Quart med J Yorks 1894, 3, 261.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1933, 2, 763 and 804].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England