Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Marsh, Frank (1855 - 1943)

CBE 1919; MRCS 24 April 1877; FRCS 13 December 1883; LSA 1877; LRCP 1881; DPH Cambridge 1884; MB ChB Birmingham 1905; ChM 1906; DL; TD.

Born
16 June 1855
Stafford
Died
12 September 1943
Bridgenorth, Shropshire
Occupation
Otolaryngologist

Details

Born 16 June 1855 at Tillington, Stafford, second son and fourth of the seven children of Edward Marsh (b 1806), yeoman farmer, and Elizabeth Hall, his second wife. He was educated at King Edward's School, Stafford, and King's College Hospital, London. After qualifying in 1877 he served with the Turkish army in the Turco-Russian war of 1877-8. On his return to England he was appointed house surgeon at the Stafford Infirmary, settled there in practice for some years, and was for eighteen months medical officer of health for Stafford, having taken the Cambridge Diploma in Public Health in 1884. In 1886 he was appointed casualty surgeon at Queen's Hospital, Birmingham, becoming surgeon and lecturer on clinical surgery in 1888; he resigned in 1903, becoming consulting surgeon to the United Hospitals. He was also surgeon to the Birmingham Ear and Throat Hospital. In 1902 he delivered the Ingleby lecture at Birmingham. He was president of the section of laryngology at the Birmingham meeting of the British Medical Association in 1911, having previously been secretary and vice-president of this section.

Marsh took a keen interest in the Territorial Army. He served as a military member of the Warwickshire County Territorial Association, in virtue of commission as lieutenant-colonel, à la suite, which he received on 3 July 1908 on the formation of the RAMC(T). During the first world war he served on the strength of the 1st Southern General Hospital at Birmingham, and as ADMS, Birmingham district, from 25 May 1917, being gazetted brevet colonel on 3 June 1917. He was awarded the Territorial Decoration and created CBE for his services. From 1929 to 1937 he was honorary colonel of the RAMC units of the 48th (South Midland) Division of the Territorial Army. For his work with the Red Cross and St John Organization he was elected a Knight of Grace of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. He was a Deputy Lieutenant.

Marsh married in 1886 Constance Hooper, who survived him with two sons and a daughter; another daughter had predeceased him. The elder son was a Fellow of the College, Frank Douglas Marsh, who survived his father by only a year. Marsh retired in 1922, and from 1931 to 1940 he lived at Monte Carlo, first at 18 Rue de Lorraine and later at Villa Bella Stella, 43 Boulevard d'Italie. On the fall of France in 1940 he returned to England, and died at Alveley, Bridgnorth, Salop, on 12 September 1943, aged 88. Marsh was a staunch conservative, and loved country life and fishing.

Publication:

Chronic hypertrophy of the faucial and pharyngeal lymphoid or adenoid tissues. Lancet, 1902, 1, 1587 and 1751.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1943, 2, 407; information given by his son, F D Marsh, MC, FRCS].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England