Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Whitelocke, Hugh Anthony Bulstrode (1891 - 1946)

MRCS 13 May 1915; FRCS 10 December 1925; BA Oxford 1912; MA MB BCh 1915; MCh 1926; LRCP 1915; FRCS Edinburgh 1924; TD.

Born
9 June 1891
Oxford
Died
8 January 1946
Oxford
Occupation
General surgeon

Details

Born at Oxford, 9 June 1891, eldest son of Richard Henry Anglin Whitelocke, FRCS, senior surgeon to the Radcliffe Infirmary, and his wife Barbara Henry, eldest daughter of G L Reid, civil engineer, of Brighton. Hugh Whitelocke's third name was taken from his grandfather's home, Bulstrode Park, Westmorland. He was educated at Summerfields, Rugby, and Christ Church, Oxford, where he took honours in physiology. He won a University entrance scholarship at King's College Hospital, and served as children's house physician there. While at Oxford he played for his college football XV, and afterwards succeeded his father as surgeon to the University Rugby Club.

The war was already in progress when Whitelocke qualified. He was commissioned captain, RAMC, on 5 November 1915, and served in the Sudan and elsewhere. At the end of the first world war Whitelocke went into partnership with his father at 6 Banbury Road, Oxford. He served as demonstrator of anatomy and lecturer in clinical surgery in the University, and surgical registrar at the Radcliffe Infirmary. He was elected assistant surgeon 1919, surgeon 1926, and in due course became senior surgeon, as his father had been. He was also Litchfield lecturer in surgery. Whitelocke, who had a wide practice in the country round Oxford, was consulting surgeon to Moreton-in-Marsh Hospital; Buckingham District Hospital; the Ellen Badger Hospital, Shipston-on-Stour; the Victoria Nursing Home, Thame; Fairford Cottage Hospital; the National Hospital for Diseases of the Heart, Maids Morton; and to the Great Western Railway. He served as secretary of the Oxford division of the British Medical Association, and was vice-president of the section of surgery at the annual meeting 1936; he was on the council of the Association of Surgeons, and president of the Oxford Medical Society. He continued to take an interest in the Territorial branch of the RAMC between the wars, and in 1939 organised a detachment at Oxford, which he took to France in January 1940. There he was appointed colonel in command of No 16 General Hospital, with which he was evacuated at the last minute from Boulogne after the Battle of France, June 1940. He was then invalided out of the Army and returned to civil practice. Whitelocke was awarded the Territorial Decoration.

Whitelocke was a popular and well-known citizen of Oxford, who played his part in the life of city, county, and university. He was a hospitable and sociable man, who enjoyed shooting and a game of cards, and he was captain of the Frilford Golf Club. Like his father, he was a member of the Apollo lodge of freemasons and a past master of the Churchill lodge. Whitelocke married in 1934 Madeleine Shankland, who survived him, but without children. He died in the Acland Nursing Home, Oxford, on 8 January 1946, aged 54. A memorial service was held in the University Church of St Mary-the-Virgin on 12 January.

Publication:
Spontaneous rupture of the oesophagus, with P C Mallam and A H T Robb-Smith.Brit J Surg 1939-40, 27, 794.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Lancet, 1946, 1, 146; Brit med J 1946, 1, 148, eulogy by E C Bevers, FRCS; information from Mrs Whitelocke].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England