Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Wilson, Hugh Cameron (1883 - 1940)

MRCS and FRCS 8 June 1911; MB ChB Edinburgh 1905; MD 1908.

Born
18 June 1883
Edinburgh
Died
13 December 1940
Cookham
Occupation
General surgeon, Medical Officer and Physician

Details

Born at Edinburgh on 18 June 1883, the seventh child and fourth son of John Wilson, miller, and his wife, née Cameron. He was educated at Watson's School and the University of Edinburgh, where he graduated in 1905, proceeding MD with commendation in 1908 and in the same year taking the special certificate in diseases of tropical climates. He was house surgeon at the Children's Hospital, Paddington Green, and at the Seamen's Hospital, Greenwich, and senior house physician at the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh. He took the English Fellowship in 1911, not having previously taken the Membership, and in the same year became resident medical officer at the Great Northern Central Hospital, Holloway Road, London.

In 1912 he settled in practice at Maidenhead, Berks, and became surgeon to the Ray Mead Children's Hospital and to the Maidenhead Hospital. During the war he was commissioned as temporary captain, RAMC on 26 July 1917, and was promoted major on 4 January 1918. He served as a surgical divisional officer in France. Wilson married on 3 October 1914 Kate Carter, who survived him with a daughter. After the war he resumed his private practice at Maidenhead, moving in 1931 to the neighbouring town of Cookham, where he died on 13 December 1940.

Publication:
Fatal case of delayed chloroform poisoning. Lancet, 1908, 1, 626.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1941, 1, 140; information given by his daughter, Miss Jean C Wilson].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England