Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Braine, John Francis Carter (1893 - 1953)

MRCS 9 November 1916; FRCS 8 June 1922; LRCP 1916; MB BS Durham 1920; MD 1925; DPH RCPS 1921; FFR 1939.

Born
21 January 1893
Died
20 September 1953
Speldhurst, Kent
Occupation
Radiologist

Details

Born on 21 January 1893, son of Charles Carter Braine FRCS and Harriet Jane Evans his wife. He was educated at Guy's Hospital, and immediately on qualifying in 1916 he entered the RAMC and saw active service in France and East Africa. After the war he came back to Guy's as demonstrator of anatomy (1919) and was Griffiths demonstrator of pathology under Professor Adrian Stokes. He took the Fellowship in 1922, and the MD of Durham with a gold medal in 1925.

Braine specialised in therapeutic radiology, and established at Guy's the first deep X-ray plant in England. He was chief assistant in the actinotherapy department, and became surgeon to the radio-therapeutic department in 1935 and its director in 1939, when he was elected a Fellow of the Faculty of Radiology. He was at various times officer-in-charge of the electro-therapeutic department at the Princess Louise Hospital for Children, Kensington, radiologist to the West London Hospital, surgeon-in-charge of the radium department at King Edward VII Hospital, Windsor, and a civil consultant in radiotherapy to the Royal Navy. During the war of 1939-45 he worked at the evacuated country centres of Guy's Hospital: Sherwood Park, Tunbridge Wells (1939), the Wildernesse, Seal, Sevenoaks (1941), and Pembury (1945).

He was a foundation member of the Society of Radiotherapists of Great Britain and Ireland, a British delegate to the 5th International Congress of Radiology at Chicago in 1936, and assistant treasurer of the 6th Congress in London in 1950. Braine brought sound judgment and enthusiasm to his work, and was encouraging, generous and hospitable. He was physically robust and of an equable, modest temperament. He was proficient as a mechanic and photographer, and was interested in farming and in art and architecture. He practised at 55 Wimpole Street, and lived at Magpie Shaw, Speldhurst, Kent, where he died on 20 September 1953, aged 60, survived by his wife and daughter. A memorial service was held in Guy's Hospital Chapel on 29 September.

Sources used to compile this entry: [The Times 22 September 1953, p 10 D, and 30 September, p 8 B, memorial service; Lancet 1953, 2, 735; Brit med J 1953, 2, 889].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England