Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Pinker, Henry George (1877 - 1961)

MRCS 27 July 1899; FRCS 8 December 1932; LRCP 1899.

Born
1877
Died
1 June 1961
Occupation
General surgeon

Details

Born in 1877, the son of Henry Richard Hope-Pinker (1849-1925), sculptor, whose marble bust of Sir William Savory, Bart, FRS, PRCS is in the College, he was educated at St Paul's School and St Bartholomew's Hospital, where he was house surgeon to Sir Henry Butlin and to C B Lockwood, whom he particularly admired.

After a time as senior resident surgeon at the Royal Sea-bathing Hospital, Margate, he settled in practice at 15 The Crescent, Plymouth in 1911, was appointed to the staff of the South Devon and East Cornwall Hospital, and in due course became consulting surgeon to the Prince of Wales Hospital; he was also surgeon to the Tavistock and Kingsbridge Cottage Hospitals. During the war of 1914-18 he was commissioned in the RAMC and served at Plymouth. He took the Fellowship by examination in 1932 when he was 55, and soon after joined a partnership with Dr Crump and Dr Thomas at Welshpool, Montgomeryshire. He retired in 1951 to Weir House, Countess Wear, Exeter.

Pinker married in 1912 May Simcoe, daughter of the Rev. Walrond Clarke; her sister married his friend Harold Vaughan Pryce FRCS (1873-1946). He lost a leg in January 1944, and died on 1 June 1961 aged 84. Mrs Pinker survived him with their son.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Lancet 1961, 1, 1296].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England