Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Grange, Charles D'Oyly (1887 - 1967)

OBE 1919; MRCS 1910; FRCS 1913; MB BS London 1912; LRCP 1910.

Born
1887
Moffat
Died
19 October 1967
Occupation
General surgeon

Details

Charles D'Oyly Grange was born at Moffat, Scotland, in 1887. His father was an Edinburgh graduate in medicine and a general practitioner, first at Moffat and later for many years at Harrogate during the summer and at Bournemouth during the winter.

Grange's early professional training was at the Leeds Medical School, but the clinical part of his undergraduate studies was done at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, where he was awarded the Willett Medal for operative surgery. He qualified in 1910 following which he worked at Leeds as a demonstrator of anatomy, an appointment which was followed by that of house surgeon to C B Lockwood at St Bartholomew's in 1911-12. He then became assistant to James Rutherford Morrison who had been a contemporary of his father's at Edinburgh, and to George Grey Turner at Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and he was always very grateful for the experience he gained from his work with these two distinguished surgeons.

In October 1913 he was appointed demonstrator of anatomy at St Bartholomew's Hospital. During the first world war he served with the RAMC reaching the rank of Major, and he became supervisor in charge of the surgical division of the Northumberland War Hospital at Newcastle. He was awarded the OBE for this work in 1919.

In 1922 he was appointed surgeon to the Harrogate and District General Hospital, and settled at 2 Lancaster Road, Harrogate. This was his life's work and he carried it through with conspicuous ability and devotion. He was also consulting surgeon to the Ripon and District Hospital and was Chairman of the Harrogate division of the BMA from 1932-33. He retired from the practice of surgery in 1947 and went to live at Angmering-on-Sea in Sussex.

Grange undoubtedly received much inspiration from his work with Lockwood in London, and with Rutherford Morrison and Grey Turner in Newcastle. He was an active member of the Association of Surgeons and regularly attended meetings of the Provincial Surgical Club. He was a very general surgeon, possessed of great manual dexterity and a placid temperament. He was very interested in the training of the young, always gave great care to the instruction of his house surgeons in the principles of surgery and followed their careers with much interest.

He was an eminently clubbable man, always pleased to meet and discuss affairs and surgery with old friends and was for many years a regular attender at the annual dinner of the Decennial Club at Bart's.

In 1918 he married Dorothea, daughter of Charles James Forster of Newcastle; there were no children. His holidays were spent mainly in exploring the countryside of England and Scotland. He left many friends in Harrogate after his retirement, many of whom had cause to be thankful for his great surgical skill. He died suddenly on 19 October 1967 at the age of eighty, and was survived by his wife.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1967, 4, 425; St Barts Hosp J 1968, 72, 4. Information from L N Pyrah, FRCS].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England