Browse Fellows


www Lives

Biographical entry Morris, Leslie (1900 - 1967)

MRCS 1924; FRCS 1925; MB ChB Manchester 1923; MD 1928; LRCP 1924.

23 June 1900
19 August 1967
Orthopaedic surgeon


Leslie Morris was born on 23 June 1900, the son of the headmaster of the school in Ashton-under-Lyne where he was educated. For the medical course he went to Manchester University where he graduated MB ChB in 1923, taking the Conjoint Diploma in 1924. In 1925 he obtained the FRCS and then held a series of training posts at the Manchester Royal Infirmary during one of which, as assistant to Professor Geoffrey Jefferson, he carried out some research on the Gasserian ganglion which resulted in an improved technique for alcohol injection for the treatment of neuralgia, and gained for him the MD degree with commendation for his thesis. Even after he had become an orthopaedic specialist patients were still referred to him for this treatment.

His first attachment to Leicester was as a locum house-surgeon in 1925, and when he had chosen orthopaedics as his special interest and had been a registrar at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital he returned to Leicester. At first he was given charge of a unit at the City General Hospital but in 1932 the Royal Infirmary appointed him orthopaedic surgeon and it fell to him to create a department which, starting with only 6 adult beds and 4 cots, became in time one of the busiest in the Infirmary. He was also orthopaedic surgeon to the Kettering General Hospital, and to the hospital at Melton Mowbray, and was associate surgeon to the orthopaedic hospital at Harlow Wood. For many years he was consultant surgeon to Leicester City football club and rarely missed a home match.

Morris was not only a conscientious worker but also made lasting friendships; if his views differed from others he never hesitated to state his case firmly but not impolitely, and for this he was respected. He had many interests outside his professional work, being a keen collector of antiques and pottery, and a regular visitor to the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden where his wife shared his enjoyment of music and ballet. He was devoted to his family of four married daughters, to his home and garden, and to the English countryside, especially in Cornwall. He died of cerebral vascular disease on 19 August 1967, and was survived by his wife and daughters.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1967, 3, 685; J Bone Jt Surg 1968, SOB, 424].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England