Browse Fellows


www Lives

Biographical entry Chubb, Gilbert Charles (1876 - 1966)

MRCS 1911; FRCS 1913; MB BS London 1912; LRCP 1911.

22 July 1966
ENT surgeon


Charles Chubb was the son of a civil engineer and he was educated at St Paul's School and at University College London, where he graduated in 1901 with first-class honours in zoology, and was Jodrell gold medallist in comparative anatomy. Chubb served as a demonstrator and lecturer in the College's Department of Zoology for some years before proceeding to study medicine; he obtained the Conjoint Diploma in 1911, at the age of 35.

After qualification he came under the influence of Herbert Tilley, senior surgeon to the ear, nose and throat department at University College Hospital, and he became resident house surgeon to the Hospital for Diseases of the Throat in 1913.

After the outbreak of war in 1914 he joined the RAMC and spent nearly four years in France and for part of that time was a member of a head injury unit which was housed in the same hospital as the team brought over from the United States by Harvey Cushing. Towards the end of the war he was posted to the facial injury unit at Sidcup, and worked there for several years with Sir Harold Gillies and Pomfret Kilner.

A few years after the war the Ministry of Pensions formed a large ear, nose and throat unit at Roehampton, and Chubb was placed in charge.

After leaving the Army, Chubb was appointed to the staff of Golden Square Hospital and later became attached also to the ear, nose and throat depart. Ment at Westminster Hospital. During his time at Golden Square he acted as Dean and was much involved in the rebuilding of that hospital, and later in the replanning of the Westminster Hospital.

Chubb's work at these hospitals, coupled with a busy private practice, gave him little time for writing, with the exception of a few papers read from time to time to meetings of the British Medical Association and the Royal Society of Medicine.

When over 70 he gave an address to the Section of Otology at the Royal Society of Medicine on the problems of aural disease and disability met with during his years at the Ministry hospital at Roehampton, which was greatly appreciated by his audience. This was his last public appearance and he lived quietly in retirement until his death at the age of 90 on 22 July 1966. He married during the first world war Phyllis Grey Baker, by whom he had two sons and two daughters, all of whom survived him.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1966, 2, 364].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England