Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Goodwin, Bernard Grainger (1886 - 1979)

MRCS 1909; FRCS 1911; LRCP 1909.

Born
13 November 1886
Died
10 January 1979
Great Whitley
Occupation
ENT surgeon and General surgeon

Details

Bernard Grainger Goodwin was born on 13 November, 1886. He was educated at the King's School, Worcester, and subsequently Birmingham University and the London Hospital, where he qualified MRCS LRCP in 1909. He gained his Fellowship two years later.

During the first world war he served with the RAMC as a surgical specialist in a casualty clearing station in France. After the war he became honorary surgeon at the old Queen's Hospital and the Children's Hospital in Ladywood Road, Birmingham. In 1930 ill health caused him to retire for several years and he lived in the country. In 1932, he returned to surgery again and became an honorary ENT specialist to the Kidderminster Hospital and the Corbett Hospital, Starbridge, before finally retiring in 1952.

Goodwin lived for 27 years at Hillhampton House before moving to Pol House which he built in the grounds of Whitley Court. He and his first wife Amy were largely responsible for restoring the beautiful Baroque church at Whitley Court, where he served as churchwarden for many years. He played a prominent part in local affairs and was Chairman of the Hundred House petty sessions, the Public Health Committee of the Old Martley Rural District Council and the Parish Council. Goodwin was a country man, well known for his shooting and fishing and the breeding of springer spaniels.

He died at his home at Great Whitley on January 10 1979 at the age of 92. He was survived by his wife Marjorie and three daughters.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1979, 1, 482].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England