Browse Fellows


www Lives

Biographical entry Gill-Carey, Chapple (1896 - 1981)

MRCS 1918; FRCS ad eundem 1948; FRCS Ed 1923; LRCP 1918.

Hawera, New Zealand
21 December 1981
ENT surgeon


Chapple Gill-Carey was born in 1896 at Hawera, New Zealand, the son of a farmer from Lancashire, his maternal grandfather being a physician at Wanganui. After attending Wanganui Collegiate School, he went to Guy's Hospital in 1913 and passed the Conjoint Diploma in May 1918. He immediately joined the New Zealand Army Medical Corps in which he served until 1920. On demobilization he returned to Guy's where his house jobs included a year with William Mollison and T B Layton in the ENT department - an association which undoubtedly influenced his future career.

In 1923 he gained the FRCS Edinburgh and was appointed to the consultant staff of the Central London Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital, becoming Postgraduate Dean in 1936. Subsequently he joined the staff of St John and St Elizabeth Hospital and was later closely associated with the New Lodge Clinic at Windsor. In 1937 the Central London Throat Hospital and the Hospital for Diseases of the Ear, Nose and Throat amalgamated to form the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital in Golden Square where Gill-Carey served throughout the second world war. When in 1945 the Institute of Laryngology was formed, Gill-Carey became the first Dean, holding the post until 1960.

In 1948 he became a Fellow of the College and served on the Council as representative of the British Association of Otolaryngologists from 1957 to 1962. He was President of the Laryngology Section at the Royal Society of Medicine and President of the Association of Otolaryngologists. He retired from active surgery in 1961 but remained a member of the board of management of the Royal National Hospital until 1964, having served the hospital for twenty-seven years.

Gill was mentally and physically impressive. He had been a keen rugby footballer and later became an outstanding golfer, frequently playing with his friend, Lord Nuffield, at Huntercombe. Carey and his wife, Margaret, were excellent company and he missed her very much when she died in 1974. When he himself became housebound, he retained his interest in medicine and world affairs and his keen sense of humour. He died on December 21, 1981, at the age of 73, survived by his son from his first marriage who is in practice in Cornwall.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1982, 284, 279, 431; Lancet 1982, 1, 178].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England