Browse Fellows


www Lives

Biographical entry Hoyte, Stanley (1885 - 1979)

MRCS 1910; FRCS 1913; MB BS London 1910; LRCP 1910.

22 August 1885
6 May 1979
General surgeon


Stanley Hoyte was born in Nottingham on 22 August, 1885. He was the seventh son of William Henry Hoyte, an architect and surveyor. He studied medicine at King's College and then at Westminster Hospital, graduating in 1910. Whilst a medical student he won the Victor Ludorum of the United Hospitals Athletic Club in 1906 and 1907 and was also awarded a Natural Science Scholarship (£60) at the Westminster Hospital Medical School and the Frederick Bird Medal and Prize and several other prizes in surgery and midwifery.

After house appointments at the Westminster Hospital and the Western Dispensary, he took the FRCS in 1913 and then went to China as a missionary with the China Inland Mission where he worked for 21 years in hospitals in Linfen and Chefoo. He was awarded the Chinese Government 'Order of the Excellent Crop' in recognition of the plague prevention services in 1915 and was later active in flood relief work in Tientsin in 1936. In 1939 he was appointed Superintendent of the Borden Memorial Hospital where he worked mostly under Japanese occupation until 1945.

In 1924 he married Grace Wilder, daughter of an American Evangelist and they had four sons and two daughters from whom they were separated by the Japanese invasion. Grace died in 1943 and the following year, Hoyte lost contact with his children. When the war ended, he set out to find them. After a search of some 3,000 miles, using various forms of transport to Chungking and Shanghai, he and his children were reunited in Hongkong and they returned to England without a home or a job and only the clothes they stood up in. Hoyte was then 60 with no resources but he and his children were befriended by, among others, Eileen Drake, a doctor's daughter whom he subsequently married. He became principal of Livingstone College which provided medical training for lay missionaries and was subsequently appointed warden of Maxwell House, a hostel for medical students. In 1952 the Hoytes acquired Dungate Manor on Reigate Heath where they established a home for the elderly. This also became a 'home' for their widely scattered family and haven for many people of all ages and races. After 27 years, he finally retired at the age of 84 but still retained his ecumenical interests and a wide range of other activities. He survived his wife by only a few months when he died on 6 May 1979 at the age of 93. He was a man of great intellectual stature and abundant Christian faith.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1979, 2, 279].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England