Browse Fellows


www Lives

Biographical entry Sheaves, Bruce Boyd (1925 - 1975)

MRCS and FRCS 1961; MB BS Sydney 1947; DLO Sydney 1960.

12 February 1925
Bathurst, Australia
5 February 1975
ENT surgeon and General practitioner


Bruce Sheaves was born on 12 February in Bathurst and attended Bathurst High School. He enrolled at Sydney University to study medicine in 1942. In 1947 he graduated and took up residency at Manly District Hospital, where he eventually became superintendent before leaving in 1951 to move into general practice. He selected Caringbah, a rapidly growing southern suburb of Sydney, where he soon developed a large general practice. Before long he headed a big partnership but, despite his success, decided that he would like to move into a more academic atmosphere. He had developed a liking for ear, nose and throat work through an association with the St George District Hospital and felt he should learn more about the speciality. He originally planned only a part-time interest but after being appointed a registrar at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital it soon became apparent that a full-time approach would be more appropriate to his talents. After gaining his Sydney DLO he spent a period in the United States before taking his FRCS which he obtained in the short space of six months - a tribute to his academic prowess. Returning to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in 1962 he was appointed an honorary surgeon and served there with distinction and universal respect until his death. He also joined the staff of the Auburn District Hospital in 1963 and soon built up a busy consultant practice from this area.

Sheaves enjoyed his work and was prominent as a teacher at the Prince Alfred both at student and registrar level. He made great efforts to improve his speciality and provide better ENT training. Always interested in the affairs of the Otolaryngological Society of Australia, he served in several executive posts and was the federal treasurer at the time of his death.

While a student he had developed a keen interest in tennis and was a badge player for the University. He retained this interest all his life and was still playing competition tennis until shortly before his death. He was also very fond of golf and made many friends on the course. He died on 5 February 1975, survived by his wife, Gwen, and his daughters, Susan, Margaret and Joanne.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Med j Aust 1975, 2, 616].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England