Browse Fellows


www Lives

Biographical entry Symonds, Maurice Isidore (1920 - 1980)

MRCS and FRCS 1949; MB BS Melbourne 1943; MS 1948; FRACS 1948.

24 July 1920
Melbourne, Australia
21 August 1980
General surgeon and Medical Officer


Maurice Isidore Symonds was born in Melbourne on 24 July 1920, the son of Dr H. Symonds, a general practitioner at Murrumbeena. He was educated at Scotch College, Melbourne, and graduated with honours in surgery and medicine at Melbourne University. He was a house surgeon at the Royal Melbourne Hospital before serving in the RAAF from 1944 to 1945. Later he became first assistant to Sir Albert Coates at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and continued his further training at the thoracic unit at Harefield and the Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Denham.

In 1951 he became first surgical assistant at Prince Henry's Hospital in Melbourne, but moved to Albury as a consultant surgeon. He was a very informed and active member of the medical staff, holding office as chairman of the medical staff of the Albury Base Hospital, and many positions on the executive with relevance to surgery within the hospital. He spent a great deal of time in consultation with architectural planners, and when the new theatre block was built, in 1973, he personally inspected theatre lights overseas, to ensure that the best lighting available at that time was purchased and installed correctly.

He was the medical officer for the North Albury Football Club from 1952 to 1970, and many a Saturday evening and Sunday morning was spent repairing the ravages of Saturday afternoon's play. He was a foundation member of the Albury Lions Club, a member of the photographic club, Albury Golf Club, and the foundation medical officer for the Albury Car Club.

Maurice and his wife Shirley shared common interests in photography, music and theatre. Friends were fortunate in benefitting from their skilled photography and professional presentation of excellent slides of holidays at home and overseas. He enjoyed his hobbies and was often to be found in his workshop improving the quality of sound from his stereo, working with his radio or developing films.

He died on 21 August 1980 survived by his wife, Shirley.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Med J Aust 1980, 2, 580].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England