Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Campbell-Robson, Lorne (1916 - 1990)

MRCS 1942; FRCS 1952; MA Cambridge 1942; MB BCh 1948; DMRT 1952; FFR 1958; FRCR 1975; LRCP 1942.

Born
10 October 1916
Died
24 September 1990
Occupation
Radiotherapist

Details

Lorne Campbell-Robson was born on 10 October 1916, the son of Lorne C Robson a company director of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and his wife, Gladys, née Ray. In his early childhood he was a chorister at Westminster Abbey. His early education was at St Bees, Cumberland, and Oundle School, afterwards going up to Caius College, Cambridge, for his preclinical studies. He entered St Mary's Hospital for his clinical work and qualified in 1942. Shortly afterwards he joined the Royal Army Medical Corps where he attained the rank of Major and was mentioned in despatches.

After demobilisation he returned to St Mary's Hospital as out-patient surgical registrar and radium registrar. He passed the FRCS in 1952 and the DMRT in the same year. He then embarked on a career in radiotherapy and was chief assistant in the radiotherapy centre at St Bartholomew's Hospital until 1954 when he was appointed consultant radiotherapist at the Leeds General Infirmary, to the regional radiotherapy centre at Cookridge Hospital, Leeds, and to Harrogate Health District. His particular interests were head and neck oncology and treatment of tumours in the urogenital tract. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists in 1975.

He retired from his hospital appointments in 1981 and held several locum posts in the Antipodes before returning to England in 1984. He settled in Oxford where he joined several literary and ecclesiastical societies and was a guide to the Bodleian and Ashmolean Libraries. He died on 24 September 1990, survived by his second wife, Gladys, a stepdaughter and four children of his first marriage.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1990, 301, 1158; Gonville and Caius Biog Hist 6, p. 149].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England