Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Hankey, George Trevor (1900 - 1987)

OBE 1945; TD; MRCS 1925; FRCS 1977; LDS 1922; FDS by election 1948; LRCP 1925.

Born
15 March 1900
London
Died
4 January 1987
Occupation
Dental surgeon

Details

George Trevor Hankey was born in London on 15 March 1900, the elder son of Trevor Hankey. After education at Oakham School he served in the final years of the war as a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Horse Artillery from 1917 to 1919. After demobilisation he entered Guy's Hospital Dental School, qualifying in dentistry in 1922 and subsequently in medicine in 1925.

Within three years of attaining his double qualification he had been appointed consultant dental surgeon to St Bartholomew's Hospital which he served until 1965, and the London Hospital which he attended until 1966. He married Norah Coulson in 1933 and one son was born before the outbreak of the second world war when he returned to the Army, as Officer Commanding 141 Field Ambulance, having served in the Territorial Army since 1927. He was mentioned in despatches but was taken prisoner and on his return to England had to face the double tragedy of the deaths of both his wife and his only son during the war years.

He was awarded the OBE in 1945 and in the same year married his deceased wife's elder sister Mary. In the early years after the war he continued to serve in the Territorial Army as Officer Commanding 12th General Hospital and was awarded the Territorial Decoration as well as being appointed a member of the Legion of Merit of the United States of America. He was elected to the Fellowship in Dental Surgery in 1948 and served the College as examiner in dental surgery for the next six years. The University of London appointed him lecturer in oral surgery and he was examiner for the University from 1948 to 1956. He was Charles Tomes Lecturer in 1953, President of the Odontological Section of the Royal Society of Medicine 1957-58 and member of the Board of the Dental Faculty at the Royal College of Surgeons from 1958 to 1973. He was awarded the John Tomes Prize by the College in 1960 and served as Vice-Dean of the Dental Faculty 1966-67. He was also a founder Fellow of the British Association of Oral Surgeons and President from 1963 to 1964. In addition to professional appointments he was a member of the Board of Governors of the London Hospital from 1954 to 1964. In addition to professional appointments he was a member of the Board of Governors of the London Hospital from 1954 to 1963 and of the N E Metropolitan Hospital Board from 1959 to 1962. In 1967 the London Hospital made him Sprawson Lecturer for his contributions to the Hospital.

During his professional life he contributed extensively to dental journals and standard textbooks. A particular interest was disorders of the temporomandibular joint. After retiring from hospital he lived in Oxted, Surrey, and pursued his hobbies of golf and tennis. He also used to sing as a tenor in Gilbert and Sullivan opera with Guy's Choral Society.

He died on 4 January 1987 and is survived by his wife, Mary.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1987, 294, 379].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England