Browse Fellows

Google

www Lives

Biographical entry Jones, Huw Morus (1917 - 1990)

MC 1943; MRCS 1941; FRCS 1948; MB BS London 1941; DLO 1951; LRCP 1941.

Born
8 September 1917
Pwllheli, North Wales
Died
30 January 1990
Leeds
Occupation
ENT surgeon

Details

Huw Morus Jones was born at Abererch, Pwllheli, North Wales, on 8 September 1917, the eldest son of David Morris Jones, professor of philosophy and religion at University College, Aberystwyth, and Ester Ann, née Williams. His early education was at Swansea Grammar School and University College, Aberystwyth, before entering St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical School. He qualified in 1941 and, after early hospital appointments which included external midwifery assistant at St Bartholomew's under Donald Fraser, joined the Royal Army Medical Corps in 1942. He was regimental medical officer to the Durham Light Infantry and while serving with them during the Italian campaign was awarded the Military Cross for activities during the battle for Monte Cassino in 1943.

After demobilisation in 1946 he passed the FRCS within two years and then became registrar at the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital in Gray's Inn Road under Professor F C Ormerod from 1949 to 1952. He passed the DLO in 1951 and in the following year was appointed consultant at the Bradford Eye and Ear Hospital until that hospital closed, when he transferred to the post of consultant ENT surgeon at Bradford Royal Infirmary until his retirement in 1982.

He was an enthusiastic member of the British Medical Association and served as President of the Bradford division in 1969; in addition he represented the consultant members of his division at many annual representative meetings of the Association. In 1978 he was President of the Bradford Medico-Chirurgical Society and in the following year served as President of the Section of Laryngology at the Royal Society of Medicine. He was an elder of the Presbyterian Church in England, a freemason, a keen gardener and also participated in golf and skiing. He was a member of the Bradford and District Branch of the St David's Society, serving as its president in 1962.

After retiring from his post in 1982 he moved to Conway and did many locum appointments at Glad Clwyd Hospital. He married Gladys Leigh in 1942 and there were two daughters, Ann and Janet, the elder of whom is a doctor. He died in Leeds on 30 January 1990, aged 72.

Sources used to compile this entry: [Brit med J 1990, 300, 935 with portrait].

The Royal College of Surgeons of England